Safety Information

Tips

Summer Safety Tips
Holiday Fire Safety Tips
Winter Fire Safety Tips

Info from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Carbon Monoxide The “Invisible” Killer
Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

Downloads:

Additional Fire Safety tips:

  • Three out of five home fire deaths result from fires in properties without working smoke alarms
  • More than one-third (37 percent) of home fire deaths result from fires in which no smoke alarms are present.
  • The risk of dying in a home fire is cut in half in homes with working smoke alarms.
  • Source: National Fire Protection Association

CO ALARMS

  • CO alarms should be installed outside each sleeping area. Install alarms on every level of the home. It is best to use interconnected alarms. When one sounds, all CO alarms in the home sound.
  • Follow the instructions on the package to properly install the CO alarm.
  • Test CO alarms at least once a month.
  • Replace CO alarms according to the instructions on the package.
  • Know the sounds the CO alarm makes. It will sound if CO is detected. It will make a different sound if the battery is low or if it is time to get a new CO alarm.
  • If the battery is low, replace it.
  • If the CO alarm sounds, you must get fresh air. Move outdoors, by an open window or near an open door. Make sure everyone in the home gets to fresh air. Call the fire department from a fresh air location. Stay there until help arrives.
  • Source: National Fire Protection Association

During the winter months, many people often rely on space heaters to keep warm and avoid skyrocketing home heating bills.  The risk of doing so can be life threatening.  Gasoline or other fossil fuel-powered space heaters are a leading cause of carbon monoxide poisoning.  Combustible fuels can become trapped in enclosed spaces, instead of being vented to the outdoors.  A gas powered space heater that is not properly installed or vented could spread a harmful amount of carbon monoxide into a room, and limiting the circulation of oxygen that is crucial for human survival.

It is imperative to install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of a home, especially if there are gas powered space heaters in use.  Each year, nearly 400 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning that derives from fuel-burning appliances such as space heaters, according to the United States Center for Disease Control and Prevention.